Wednesday, January 22, 2020

Lego Technic Porsche 911 RSR

Since my first build of Technic Getaway Racer and Interceptor, I had always felt curious and wanted to build something on a larger scale.

I browsed through multiple sets of Trucks and Cars and couldn't quite make the decision, so I settled for the Porsche RSR 911, it appeared to be an easy build with over 1500 parts, I never thought it would take me over 12 hours to build this thing into an operational state.


But the trade off for the effort is quite cool, you get moving pistons, working suspension and you could even integrate LEDs or RC kits into it, if you so wish.



I personally think the model looks NOTHING like the car that it is based off of.

Since this is based off of an actual race track car in real time, I did not was to keep to its original aesthetics and ordered extra parts to have the rims in Red. To my surprise, the fenders weren't the right size from factory and so I opted order Red fenders. Still think the Red fenders aren't quite completing the look, may need to get them in white again but the wheels, most definitely couldn't have stayed black.


Then began the build, having built a ton of Gunpla, I didn't think this would take very long as there is literally no panel lining, painting nor any part adjustments of any kind but the 1580 pieces took their toll and accumulated to 2 nights worth full-time labor.


Intricate details make this special, the entire suspension component does operate like a real vehicle


Starting to look like an actual frame


This is when I started to realize, it wouldn't fit on any shelf


Almost there in 2nd day of the build


Right: You can see the original Black wheels, I didn't want to put them on so I waited for the Red ones to arrive.


7 days later the wheels arrived and then there were the fenders that didn't fit, so it remained incomplete for a month.


Meanwhile I replaced the translucent white lights to Yellow for track accuracy


Finally the fenders arrived and completed the build, the fenders to my visual opinion look out of place and I may need to replace them by ordering another pair in white yet again. For now, it is complete.


Left: The version Lego wants you to build
Right: My version

No comments:

Post a Comment